For all the details, see Mr. Randy Seaver’s post!
My birthday is 21 June 19–. The first day of summer. The longest day of the year. Am I a Gemini or Cancer? I’ve always identified with Gemini.
So, I used my RootsMagic7 program and came up with a list of birthdays. Eight were in June, none share 21 June. The closest to my birthday is my maternal grandfather’s sister, Beatrice Elizabeth Ballard, who was born on 17 June. My mother has her name as a middle name; Beatrice died as a young child. We named our stillborn daughter Isabella Bea. The others who share June birthdays with me include both my mom and dad, John Ford, Peyton Pearson (son of Thomas), and William Maxwell (my paternal grandmother’s father).
I’ll be keeping an eye out for an ancestor or collateral relative who shares my birthday!
Mr. Randy Seaver’s challenge this week is a good one! I don’t have nearly the number of people in my database that Mr. Seaver does, but I still have some with LNU (last name unknown). No Sarah’s though!
I have a Mary and an Eleanor.
1) Mary was the wife of Ezra James Carpenter, one of my 3rd-great-grandmothers. They had a daughter named Elizabeth, who went by Lizzie, who married William T. Abbott; they had a daughter named Nora Belle who married Harvey Ballard; they had a son named Donald Guy, my grandfather. I haven’t revisited this research in some time, so I did a little snooping on Ancestry.com and found Mary’s maiden name…Devore! A new avenue to explore!
2) Eleanor was the mother of the second wife of my 4th-great-GF, Amos Ballard, Jane Kenney. Amos & Jane were married during the first decade of the 19th century, so Eleanor was probably born mid 1700s. Since this marriage is not a direct line to me I haven’t given it too much of my time. I need to, though, to try to complete that line as best possible.
Thank you, Mr. Seaver, for pushing me to do a bit of extra research this weekend! 🙂
Please see Mr. Randy Seaver’s post:
I chose my great-grandfather Thomas Mayer, born in 1881. Divide his year of birth by 80, and my “roulette number” is 23.51. I rounded up to 24, which led me to a 2nd-great-GF, Dr. Amos Benton Ballard. He was born on 24 February 1840 in Indiana and died on 23 July 1897, also in Indiana.
Three facts about Dr. Amos Benton Ballard:
* He shared his day of birth with a younger brother, both born on 24 February.
* He earned his medical degree in 1873 in Cincinnati, and I have his sheepskin degree.
* Not sure if this is a fact, but a child was listed in his obituary that I have no proof of…working on that!
* For fun, he was married 3 times, the 3rd wife being my 2nd-great-GM.
* Before being a doctor, he was a teacher, preacher, and dentist!