My most sincere apologies for being absent lately. I’ve been working hard on laying the groundwork for the new society (writing bylaws! creating a newsletter! planning a year’s worth of meetings!) and also I’ve begun writing some of my BCG Certification reports (not officially “on-the-clock” yet). Plus, doing research for First Families of Ohio since learning my 4th-great-grandparents were in Ohio prior to 1820 (James A. Fowler and Elizabeth Devore in Butler County, OH) and doing research on my 4th-great-grandmother Ailesann (Dyer) McGuire, born in Indiana in 1811.
This week marks the change from paternal 2nd-greats to maternal 2nd-greats!
Ancestor: My maternal 2nd-great-grandfather (Amos Benton Ballard)
- Born on 24 February 1840 in Henry County, Indiana, on the Aaron Ballard farm in Jefferson Township.
- Was exempt from the 1862 Civil War draft due to a “heart condition.”
- Was a teacher, preacher, doctor, and dentist.
- Was married 3 times: Hester Ann Cripe, Olive Carver, and Hannah Katherine “Kate” Hanby.
- Graduated in 1873 from the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery.